Moving out of building questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moving out of building questions

Post  sarah Hintz/John Rau on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi there. I think this forum is a great idea, and hopefully more people will join!

I have a question regarding moving out. I just got a job in MI and must vacate my apartment. I called the leasing office on Monday, but they told me that they will not break my lease (I was hoping to break it and pay a fee). They told me the only thing I can do is write a letter requesting that they find a new renter. I sent them such a letter on August 2. In the meantime, I am also trying to put the word out to anyone looking to move into the building. I believe the law states that if I find a qualified renter Samson either 1) can accept the new tenants with a new lease and let me out of my lease or 2) they can deny the new tenant, but must allow me out of my lease in 30 days.

I have not yet spoken with Becko, as I figured it was best to deal with Samson directly?

Does anyone have any advice in how best to deal with Samson given my situation. We would not be leaving if it weren't for my job. We have lived here almost 3 years. Our current lease ends October 31. And/or does anybody know of someone looking for a 1 bedroom in the building? I want to make sure I am handling everything correctly, but desperately need to figure something out, as my new position begins Sept 8!

Thank you in advance for your help.
Sarah

sarah Hintz/John Rau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving out of building questions

Post  Stephen Wilkinson on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi sarah,

I wish I had an answer for you, but my best advice is to review the Rent Guidelines Board website (link is available in the Rent Guidelines and Renter's Rights post). Perhaps someone here has additional information or experience?

Stephen Wilkinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

found a renter

Post  sarah Hintz/John Rau on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks Stephen. I have actually identified someone who wants my apartment. He is a math teacher and currently lives on 196th street, but he loves our building and wants to apply for the apartment. I called Samson Management leasing and spoke with Zelda who told me that he would have to apply through a broker and pay a broker fee? I never did that. I just applied through the super/management. Has the policy changed?? Or are they just making this difficult on me? Smile

Is there someone else I could speak with? I think this gentleman would be a great addition to the building/community and I don't want him to turned off by the broker fee... He is prepared to pay an application fee.

Thanks,
Sarah

sarah Hintz/John Rau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Wilkinson on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Sarah,

Are you trying to re-assign your lease (get out of your lease altogether)? or are you trying to sublet?

I believe that if you are trying to end your lease altogether, then Samson can request that the new renter go through a broker. However, if you are subleasing your apartment, Samson can request that the new renter pay a security deposit, but there would be no other fees (besides application fee).

Essentially, if you are breaking your lease, Samson can treat your apartment just like any other it has coming available - meaning they can give the listing to a broker (who they pay to do all the leg work), and any new tenant would have to go through the broker.

I have heard of people getting apartments in our building directly from the management, and I have also heard of many people going through a broker (which is what we had to do). I believe its really up to Samson.

Stephen Wilkinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top