Quality of Life Issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quality of Life Issues

Post  Admin on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Here is a place to discuss issues that affect your quality of life.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://600west218th.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Vermin Issue.....

Post  Michael Rivera on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:24 pm

We're happy that this site has been created and hope that it help us not only voice our concerns, but also make a difference.

As most of you know, the building is infested with rats and mice. You can clearly see holes thoroughout both building entrances. Yolanda and I have brought this to the super's attentions many, many, many times as well as Joe Lipton. No action has been taken to-date. The only thing that is offered are glue traps. This will not solve the problem. We don't want to catch them, we want to stop them from entering the building. What can be done?, as we are at our witts end!

Michael Rivera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Quality of Life Issues

Post  Stephen Wilkinson on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:29 am

Michael,

Thanks for posting this - I believe the exterminator comes every month (or is scheduled to), but that certainly doesn't seem to be solving the problem. Can you describe where you see these holes? I'd be happy to speak to Joe Lipson on behalf of the Tenants Association and request that the situation be addressed more appropriately than it currently is.

Thanks

Stephen Wilkinson

Stephen Wilkinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Vermin Issue.....

Post  Michael Rivera on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:57 pm

Stephen,

Thanks for your quick response.

You're right the exterminor doesn't do much to help the situtation; he places a couple of glue traps in our apt.

Most holes (burrows) are visible thoroghout the perimeter of the outside building walls (usually the corners), and some are around the brick outlining the garden area (on the Indian Rd. side). We also know and have been told by other tenants that the exterior garbage cans are breeding grounds for them. One tenant told us that he sometimes sees the whole garbage can shaking. These garbage cans are not emptied or cleaned on a daily basis. Removing them may be an option.

As for our apartment, they seem to be coming from the radiators via loose floors boards and openings. We catch and kill mice/small rats alsmost daily. Yolanda made Joe Lipson aware of this during a recent visit to our apartment. He told her that Becko would come up and seal all holes/openings in our apt. When I asked Becko about it, he says he doesn't know anything about, though he was present when Joe Lipson came by. We're sure we can't be the only ones with this problem.

We appreciate anything you can do.

Michael and Yolanda

Michael Rivera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Wilkinson on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:30 am

I have a call in to Samson, and will post as soon as I hear back.

Stephen Wilkinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

mice

Post  sarah Hintz/John Rau on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Michael,

You are not alone. We too have problem with mice. One day we saw them coming up through our stove burner! We are constantly setting snap traps and often see mouse droppings on our kitchen counter tops. yucky. We do not leave any food or dirty dishes out, but they keep coming back to look!

Thanks,
Sarah

sarah Hintz/John Rau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

vermin

Post  Stephen Wilkinson on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:59 pm

While we wait for Samson to remedy the vermin problem, I would urge residents to call 311 and report the problems. This will create a record of the problem and hold Samson accountable.

Stephen Wilkinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Vermin Issue.....

Post  Michael Rivera on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:59 pm

When Michael and I posted this issue, it was not our intent to have us point fingers at each other. I'm sure that if you see something relative to the cafe you can talk to Jason directly. He and Nikki are not only good neighbors and nice people, they are also approachable.

We just wanted to see if we were the only ones effected by the infestation, as we're made to feel by Becko and Samson that we're the only ones complaining.

We must unite on this issue and as Stephen says start reporting the problem, daily if necessary. Michael and I put in tickets, and all we get are glue traps. On last month's posted extermination list in the lobby, I asked that the holes on the Indian Rd. side be addressed, and as we all see, the problem has yet to be recitified.

We may also want to report the problem in the park via 311. I think that since they began letting people barbecue in the park, it has escalated the problem.

Samson must treat this issue with a sense of urgency as it continues to worsen!

PLEASE UNITE AND REPORT THE PROBLEM VIA INTERNAL TICKETS (keep the pink copy for your records), AND VIA 311. TOGETHER WE CAN AFFECT CHANGE.

Thank you,

Yolanda & Michael

Michael Rivera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Wilkinson on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Just to update everyone, Samson was notified in writing today of the vermin problem at both entrances to the building, as well as other areas in the building. I will post Samson's response as soon as it is received. Also, if you are experiencing vermin problems and you live in an apartment above the lobby level, please post this info - I'd like to determine if this is a lobby-level problem or several floors above as well.

Stephen Wilkinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

3rd floor

Post  sarah Hintz/John Rau on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Regarding the vermin. We live on the 3rd floor - and have mice. We haven't seen any rats, but lots of mice. Hope that helps.
Sarah

sarah Hintz/John Rau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd Floor

Post  Michael Rivera on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Michael & I are on the 2nd floor, and caught 2 more last night!!! We've caught over 38 in a 3 month period!!!

Michael Rivera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Wilkinson on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:45 pm

We are still waiting for a response from Samson - in the meantime, please call 311. I know it seems that you may just be calling with no action, but every call is documented.

Stephen Wilkinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Wilkinson on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:59 am

Just to keep everyone updated - Samson has still not responded to us - Jacob Morel has kindly reached out to Joe Lipson on our behalf, so we shall see...

Stephen Wilkinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mary whitaker on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:28 pm

I have been wondering if there has been any noticeable difference in our vermin issue since the large traps were placed outside the building entrances .... Feedback please ....

mary whitaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

they're back!!!!

Post  Michael Rivera on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:57 am

We noticed an improvement when the exterminator applied some poision in powder form in our apt. in August. Unfortunately, it only last about 2 weeks.

When the exterminator came by last Saturday (9/11), he only came prepared to exterminate for roaches, thus wasting our time. We don't understand why Samson would arrange for extermination of roaches only knowing that they have a severe rodent problem in this building. We're back to catching mice on a daily basis. PLEASE HELP as my wife suffers an extreme fear of vermin and we can't enjoy our home peacfully. We have had to stop inviting guests to our home for this reason. Paying a monthly rent to our landlord should afford us the ability to live in our homes comfortably and vermin free (as stated in our lease).

Michael & Yolanda

Michael Rivera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Samson reply?........

Post  Michael Rivera on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:21 am

Stephen,

Have you heard from Samson yet concerning this issue? The problem still exists and we're back to catching mice on a daily basis. We know for a fact, that one of our co-tenants is moving out because this issue has not been addressed effectively. Something needs to happen as soon as possible, as we don't want to be forced to move too!

Do you know if all exterior and interior holes have been sealed? Becko was suppose to come to our apt. to seal any openings around the raditors more than 2 months ago, and he has yet to do so.

We would appreciate it, if you could continue to press Samson to take action on this matter. We will continue to make verbal complaints to Becko as well as process tickets as needed.

Thank you,

Michael & Yolanda

Michael Rivera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Wilkinson on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 pm

hi michael and Yolonda,

Yes, Joe Lipson has been notified that there is a rodent problem in the building. So far, it appears there have been rat traps placed outside the building, which I know does not help your situation. Joe Lipson can be reached at (718) 830-0131, x134. Please give him a call to schedule a time for him to view your apartment - he will need access to the apartment to assess the situation, and then to schedule any work related to filling holes or exterminating. Please call him everyday if need be and leave messages.

We are doing our best to get results from Samson, I can assure you, but as you know, its not easy! Just please be consistent in reporting the problem and calling Joe. I hope to have more to update you on soon! Also, as was already mentioned, anyone with a rodent problem should document the case with 311, and call Joe Lipson, the building manager. Its important that we report each incident and build a record of the problem.

Stephen

Stephen Wilkinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Rivera on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:49 am

Hi Stephen,

I know you're trying very hard to get action from Samson, and appreciate all you do. We can't thank you enough.

Please know that Becko finally came up to seal the openings/holes by the raditor and what a difference it has made. We have gone without mice for almost a week now. What a wonderful change. Also know, that Becko told me that most tentants have the same problem. May I suggest that Samson do an inspection of most if not all apts. (especially those that Becko is aware of) to seal any openings/holes. This would greatly alleviate the rodent problem for our fellow tenants.

As to the outside boxes, they are only effective if the exterminator comes every month prepared to change the poision in the traps.

Thanks again and good luck with Samson.

Yolanda

Michael Rivera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:Quality of Life Issues

Post  mary whitaker on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi Yolanda,

This is excellent news! We will relate this to Joe and Becko suggesting they do this with other apartments having mice problems.

We will also ask Joe about the outside boxes and how often they are to be checked.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Mary

mary whitaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Me too

Post  smokebomblover on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Stephen Wilkinson wrote:Michael,

Thanks for posting this - I believe the exterminator comes every month (or is scheduled to), but that certainly doesn't seem to be solving the problem. Can you describe where you see these holes? I'd be happy to speak to Joe Lipson on behalf of the Tenants Association and request that the situation be addressed more appropriately than it currently is.

Thanks

Stephen Wilkinson

smokebomblover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Me too

Post  smokebomblover on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Becko gave me glue traps for mice. When they work you hear mouse squealing to get off. Eventually mouse dies. Big smell when mouse dies.
It is better to have a million mice scurry back and forth than have them get stuck on glue traps. Any other options?

smokebomblover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mary whitaker on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi ....

We are recommending that if you have mice in your apartment call 311 (each time you see a mouse...even if that means calling daily) to register a complaint. It is important to have documentation about this problem in the building.

And, call the building manager, Joe Lipson (718) 830-0131, x134. Call him everyday if needed and leave a message. He will need access to your apartment so you can show him where they are gaining access. They can then plug the holes/entrances and hopefully that will give you relief.

Mary

mary whitaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hope this helps....

Post  Michael Rivera on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 am

The holes that were sealed were located behind the radiator pipes (1 in the livingroom and the another in the kitchen; I suggest you use a flashlight). Becko sealed them with steal wool, corking and more steal wool on top of the corking.

Just a couple of days after, Michael and I discoverd cracks large enough for mice to get through in our coat closet baseboard and floor. We quickly sealed those with steal wool and will reinforce with corking soon. Our intent is to check all closets and every where else feasible to make sure any and all cracks/holes are sealed. It's the only effective way to keep mice out. If you seal one hole, they'll find another.

As to the boxes outside, I don't think they're being monitored on a monthly basis. The exterminator doesn't show up if there are only 2 or 3 names on the list posted in the lobby. He should come regardless as the overall building's interior and exterior needs to be exterminated regualrly in order to be effective. They sent an inexperience exterminator in Sept. that came prepared to exterminate for roaches only, and was not told or was aware of the rodent problem. No one will be coming this month and the next scheduled extermination is for Novemeber. Samson really needs to stay on top of this if they want to see imrprovement.

Yolanda

Michael Rivera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

VERMIN ISSUE

Post  Michael Rivera on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:21 pm

We feel that Samson doesn't do enough to control this issue. In fact, it continues to get worse! Day-in, day-out with have to deal with these horrible critters. The exterminators they send are usually young guys that do seem to have much experience. All they do is throw a couple of poison blocks under the raditors and hand us a couple of glue traps. That's hardly going to rectify the situation. It would be great if they could send some real professionals.

We shouldn't just shrug our shoulders and accept this as the matter will continue to worsen. We'd like to ask all of our nieghbors to please call 311 and/or Samson as much as possible to complain about the issue.

Thank you. We hope you have a great summer:)

Michael & Yolanda

Michael Rivera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mary whitaker on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Michael and Yolanda,

Laura, Robert and I have a meeting scheduled with Joe Lipson tomorrow (6/20) and this is one of several issues we intend to discuss with management.

Calling 311 and registering a formal complaint is also an appropriate form of action.

If anyone has a problem with vermin in their apartment or if they find vermin to be a problem in the common areas of our building please call 311 to register a complaint.

Thanks for letting us know.
We will be in touch.

Mary Whitaker

mary whitaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top